I've always wondered why we these TVs are produced anyways. Or at least for now... The 16:9 models stretch the image for 99% of the programs since they are not broadcasted in this format, so they are kinda useless these days.

Just a thought,

Ioan

-----Message d'origine-----
De : TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de [log in to unmask]
Envoyé : July 9, 2008 2:30 PM
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : [TN] (NTC) But Relevant

Seems very quiet today. Here's  one of those things that make us go hmmmm....

Flat Screen TV's Accelerate  Global Warming?

KTLA News

July 4, 2008,  9:57 AM PDT

 (http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-plasmatv-dangers,0,3208971.story) IRVINE --
An Irvine scientist says  those popular flat screen television sets may be
accelerating global  warming.

Almost half of the televisions sold around the globe so far this  year have
been plasma or LCD TV's, according to experts. But this boom could be  coming
at a huge environmental cost.

The gas, widely used in the  manufacture of flat screen TVs, is estimated to
be 17,000 times as powerful as  carbon dioxide.

Ironically, NF3 is not covered by the Kyoto protocol as  it was only produced
in tiny amounts when the treaty was signed in  1997.

Levels of this gas in the atmosphere have not been measured, but  scientists
say it is a concern and are calling for it to be included in any  future
emissions cutting agreement.

Professor Michael Prather from the  University of California at Irvine has
highlighted the issue in an article for  the magazine New Scientist.

He says output of the gas needs to be  measured.

"One of my titles for this paper was Going Below Kyoto's Radar.  It's the
kind of gas that's made in huge amounts," he said.

"Not only is  it not in the Kyoto Treaty but you don't even have to report
it. That's the part  that worries me."

Prather estimates 4,000 tons of NF3 will be produced in  2008 and that number
is likely to double next year.

"We don't know what's  emitted, but what they're producing every year dwarfs
these giant coal-fired  power plants that are like the biggest in the world,"
he said.

"And it  dwarfs two of the Kyoto gases. So the real question we don't know is
how much is  escaping and getting out."

Other scientists say without measuring the  quantity of NF3 in the atmosphere
it is unclear what impact it will have on the  climate.