Phil, our customers specify board thickness as a +/- 0.00? over laminate or over copper. You pick.

Karl

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Phil Nutting
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 3:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Specifying board thickness

Hi Technetters,

We are reviewing how we specify finished circuit board thickness to make sure we get what we think we specified.  Recent events have placed what we specify under scrutiny.  I've looked through IPC-2221, IPC-2222, IPC- 4101B, IPC-6012B and IPC-7351A with no luck.

Currently our documentation calls for 0.059" finished board thickness without measuring the thickness of the copper.  Presumably when the copper is added we get to 0.062" finished thickness which is important when we start stacking circuit boards on standoffs.

How do others specify circuit board thickness?

Is there an IPC spec I can quote chapter and verse?

Thanks in advance.

Phil Nutting
Design for Manufacturing Engineer
Kaiser Systems, Inc.
126 Sohier Road
Beverly, MA 01915
voice: 978-922-9300 x1310
fax: 978-922-8374
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.kaisersystems.com

Note: All the information contained in this e-mail and its attachments is proprietary to Kaiser Systems, Inc. and it may not be reproduced without the prior written permission of sender.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately return it to sender and delete the copy you received.