Hi Ken - is there an end cap metallization such as nickel or copper
between the solderable surface finish and the ceramic metallized layer?

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

Ken Bloomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
04/28/2008 02:38 PM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Ken Bloomquist <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Cracking Ceramic Cap

Hi All,

We are experiencing a high failure rate on a ceramic capacitor. I've asked
Steve to post the pictures to help describe the problem, "Cracked Cap 1, 2
and 3".

The capacitor that is cracking is used nineteen times on this assembly and
none of the others ever crack. The assembly process is as follows:

Paste, place SMD, reflow and wash secondary side.
Paste, place SMD, reflow and wash secondary side.
Hand place through-hole components, wave solder in selective pallet and
wash.
In-circuit test, capacitor fails about 5% of the time.
Operator removes part and the metalized end cap falls off.

I have looked at the handling of the assembly and don't see anything that
could contribute to the problem.

I've looked at ICT and nothing appears to be slamming into the part.

The only thing I see different with this part from the others is the
proximity to the stud from the D-sub connector. It takes a little pressure
to put the connector stud into the hole but nothing excessive.

I'm wondering if there could be anything happening due to thermal
expansion
of the large solder joint next to the cap.

Picture "Cracked Cap 1" shows the proximity of the capacitor to the
connector stud, http://stevezeva.homestead.com/files/cracked_cap_1.jpg
Picture "Cracked Cap 2" shows a how the connector is installed and
soldered,
http://stevezeva.homestead.com/files/cracked_cap_2.jpg
Picture "Cracked Cap 3" shows the unsoldered connector stud,
http://stevezeva.homestead.com/files/cracked_cap_3.jpg

Thanks for looking at this,

KennyB