From: DesignerCouncil [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jack Olson
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 11:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DC] Non-functional lands

(I'm not trying to hog the discussion,
but since no one else is chiming in...)

That's why IPC doesn't get into it, because if
you have easy designs with good hole aspect
ratios and your product doesn't see high stress,
then you can make your manufacturer's life
easier by making the call, which is a good thing.

Now that lead-free is creating its own form of hole
stress, it is more difficult to know what to allow.

I say better safe than sorry,
and if you ever want to disagree with Werner
(reliability guru from Bell Labs)
you better have pretty good data to support it.
(grin)

p.s. you might get more info by serching the
TechNet Archives for "non-functional pads"
http://listserv.ipc.org/scripts/wa.exe?A0=TechNet

good luck,

.