Hi Ilkka,

It may be  the problem is related to component solderability since the PCB
seems to have good wetting but the components break-off. This may cause
marginal wetting making a fragile joint or "Toumbstoning" (where the chip
device flips from vertical to horizontal during reflow). These problems
can be difficult to trouble-shoot since the interaction of component
solderability (both PCB or component), soldering materials and soldering
parameters.

Assuming SMD pads are correctly sized,  chip components should
"self-center" (align) during reflow. If there are solderability (wetting
force) problems or the reflow profile is not well controlled, the chips
can rotate or vertically lift due to inbalance of the wetting force (side
to side).

If you frefer to IPC workmanship standards, you should find decriptions
and photos of skewed (rotated) and "Toumbstone) components for comparison.
Your supplier should as their inspectors if they have sen this, it might
help them to trouble-shoot the problem.

Since no glue is used we can eliminate glue contamination on the pads.

Since they are soldered top side we can eliminate adhesion problems from
bottom side.

If they have AOI and it did not find mis-placements or missing placements
we can sliminate pacement of reel handling problems since either would
result in a mis-placed or missing component.

The Reel Mishandling could result in components coming loose from the tape
(if used) or being lost. High speed shooters generally alarm if this is
the case but I just wanted to help you consider the possibilites.

Regards,

C.B. Katzko, CTO
Meadville Group
e-mail  [log in to unmask]
tel            +86 21 3774 7528
fax           +86 21 3774 7590
mobile   +86 13817362590

+++  Please note new tel & fax numbers.  +++

"Ilkka Lehtinen" <[log in to unmask]>
2008-01-14 14:10
请答复 给

收件人
"'Chris Katzko'" <[log in to unmask]>
抄送
主题
RE: ´ð¸´: [TGA] SMD components cracking off

Hi Chris,

1.      The solder pads are look like that the solder has not attached to
the component. There is solder on the pads and you can clearly see the
component has been there correctly but for some reason it is not anymore.
The component sometimes is broken off i.e. there sometimes are parts of
components left but usually there is only the solder left. Like somebody
would have removed the component by using pliers (this naturally is not
the case here).
2.      Components are SMD components as I said and maybe you could find
the reason by checking manufacturing dates. Problem with this route is
that this problem has been there many months and the contract manufacturer
does not have big stocks. Also PCB solderability does not seem to be
problem according to the soldering results.
3.      Manufacturing process is very normal: paste printing, SMD
assembly, AOI checking, THD assembly (manual), wave soldering, testing and
packing. The missing components are SMD components assembled by assembling
machine. In AOI phase the components are still there without any defect
codes.
4.      The components are on the top side of the PCB and glue is not
considered needed in our products.
5.      I’m not aware about our contract manufacturer’s machine
adjustment, servicing or cleaning procedure or policies. Currently our
PCB’s have only one fiducial mark even if adding another has started to
some of the products. But AOI, as I said, does not find misplacements.
What is SMD component reel mishandling, could you be more specific about
what you mean?

Thanks and BR,

Ilkka Lehtinen