Hi Kenny! Just an observation but from the photos is appears that the areas
of conformal coating delamination are from some material which is "seeping
out" of the vias. Have you investigated to see if either cleaning step is
leaving solution trapped in the via holes?

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

             "Bloomquist, Ken"
             <Ken.Bloomquist@A
             STRONICS.COM>                                              To
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/06/2007 09:29          [TN] Conformal Coat Dewetting
             AM

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
             "Bloomquist, Ken"
             <Ken.Bloomquist@A
               STRONICS.COM>

Good afternoon all,

I've go some assemblies that are not taking conformal coating in some
areas. The boards are reflowed and then selective wave soldered with a
pallet. They us a water sol flux and run it through an inline wash using
DI. We wash them in a batch washer using a mild saponifier prior to
coating. The boards are cleanliness tested in a ROSE tester and then
coated with polyurethane.

It is only on a few boards and it appears to almost be coming from the
via's. If we try to brush coat over it it still won't coat. If we clean
it with IPA then it coats just fine.

We've ruled out silicone and finger grease.

I have a couple of photos so you can see what it looks like. One is
black light showing the void areas. The other one is where we tried to
touch up the coating around a via and you can see how it pulled back.

http://www.ema-wa.com/DSCF0845ViaContamAreas.jpg

http://www.ema-wa.com/DSCF0840_Via_Close-up_Y1_WL.JPG

Thanks,

KennyB