Bogert:

The same target topside temperature can be used for the varying board temperatures, but as you do get thicker and with more groundplane layers, that target usually needs to be at the high end of your process window.  I've run 062" (during some DOEs with the heaters off and had 100% hole fill; and on boards .125" and greater, I've had 50% hole fill at the upper end of the process window).

You need to check with your flux supplier, but most tend to be 80-105 C range.

The target temperature is the easy part; it's the balance between preheat and conveyor speed to achieve the target.  In general, thicker boards need slower conveyor speeds and more preheat; faster speeds and less preheat for thinner boards.  It's somewhat linear, but again ground plane layers, component type and density, and fixturing (a selective soldering pallet can require twice as much preheat to achieve your target topside temperature).

Haven't tried lead-free yet.  I'd suspect the soldering principles to be similar, but again, contact your flux supplier and possibly your wave solder manufacturer.

Good luck,

Raytheon
Al Kreplick
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer
Land Combat/Precision Strike/Air to Air
978.470.9931
978.470.4307 fax
978-245-1702 pager

- Bogert <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>

03/11/2006 06:50 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
- Bogert <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
[TN] Wave solder survey questions

March 11, 2006

Folks, what is the recommended top side FR4 board temperature for wave soldering using Sn63 solder and RMA flux?  Does it vary for board thickness (0.062, 0.093, 0.125)?

Same question except when lead-free solder is used.