Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:58:20 +0200
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [LF] From Jennie Hwang--Response--Bi Effects--Selected Points
Sender: Leadfree <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Roger, Dave:

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding contradicting data and corresponding conclusions, I am confident
that they can be explained once we know the specific parameters and conditions
in the context under a given design, including test conditions and solder
joint-making process, as well as the contacting surfaces and interface (surface
finish, component coating).

There are several fronts in discussing Bi effects.

--Bi adding to 63Sn37Pb solder material: effects on application, physical,
mechanical properties
--Bi in component coating: dissolving into 63Sn37Pb solder joint; estimation
of Bi concentration in solder joint; effects
--Bi in Pb-free solder joint contributed from components: on SnAg, SnCu,
SnAgCu, SnAgIn, SnAgCuIn, etc.
--Bi-containing Pb-free solder alloys by design: application, physical,
mechanical properties
--Fillet-lifting vs. Bi: is it caused by Bi?
--Low temperature BiPbSn phase: presence or absence; general guidelines;
detectable or non-detectable effects

Each has to be clearly discerned. This is not the venue to make a
dissertation on the subject. Nonetheless, a few points are warranted at this time.

Although results are condition-specific, there are areas with certainty:

--Once we know the specific parameters and conditions including test
conditions and solder joint-making process that have made the Bi-containing solder
joint "better or worse," an explanation can be made.
--The effect of surface finish and component coating on a solder joint can be
judged only when a sound solder material is used.
--The effect of surface finish and component coating can be judged only when
a good solder joint is made. That is the process is right and there is no
extraneous factors, such as an inadequate or improper process introduces <
stratified> solder joint, nature of component lead-base-material, improper test
conditions, etc.
--My statement would not be made based on bulk material only, nor on one or
several laboratory-test results, nor on one or more production results, nor on
single accelerated reliability test methodology. It is based on the
combination of lab test results, production, accelerated reliability tests and sustained
filed performance. Further, it has to be in congruence with fundamentals.
This applies to the situation that a small amount of Bi in 63Sn37Pb solder
material (as eluded in this thread of e-mails as Chapter 28 of the book). This doped
material (in solder joint) has been widely used in producing many products
over the years before the Lead-free topic became a common discussion.
--All observed phenomena, positive or negative, are in sync with fundamentals
of materials science and metallurgy in bulk materials and in solder joint (A
great comfort!)
--There are hardly mysteries.

Take one example, if a temperature cycling test of 42Sn58Bi alloy (melting
temperature 138oC), either as a bulk material or in solder joint, is set from
-55oC to +125oC (or +100oC) the results are expected to be definitely negative.
The upper limit temperature is too high for this alloy. And this alloy is not
designed, nor suitable for elevated temperature applications (relative to
63Sn37Pb). But at room temperature, this alloy has higher strength than 63Sn37Pb
over a wide range of strains. But fatigue resistance depends on the strain
amplitude. Take another example on fillet lifting. Bi does not cause
fillet-liftng. Alloy 42Sn58Bi has no fillet-lifting problem, while other Bi-free alloys are
associated with fillet-lifting. However, improperly designed Bi-containing
alloys can severely augment the driving force for fillet-lifting.

Roger's example is right that strength drops, regardless of component
coating, with the continued temperature cycling. Excerpt:<< Pull strength required to
destroy a SJ went from 19.5N to 16N (avg) (1000 cycles) for 63/37 and Sn2Bi
plating, worst case saw a 35% drop in SJ strength.  Interestingly, for a 63/37
and Sn10Pb lead plating, the SJ strength went from 17.5N to 15N (avg; 1000
cycles), worst case saw a 35% drop in SJ strength.>>

Regarding Sn2Bi, Dave is right. The primary purpose of 2% Bi is to mitigate
Sn whisker. In this regard, Bi is one of very few elements, which can <act> in
Sn matrix similarly to Pb.

As to Dave's remarks about the book, the first Lead-free book: "
Environment-friendly Electronics:Lead-free Technology", which was composed during 1999, is
the culmination of solid ten-year sustained and systematic R&D without
legislative "incentives." The book focuses on material properties. As a matter of
fact, the book only houses a small portion of overall research results conducted
due to the space limitation and the relevancy to the SMT manufacturing sector.
Before considering the interface effects and contact surfaces, the intrinsic
materials properties go first. An inferior material does not deliver a high
performance solder joint with any surface finish and coating. It's a sort like
preparing a premium steak, it starts with premium beef. Then a good chef can <
interface> this premium beef with the grill and spices (PCB surface finish and
component lead coating) under right temperature (process) to achieve the
result.

Thus, with a good start in material, one can expect to achieve solder joint
integrity by considering the process, the interface and interfacial phenomena
during the soldering process and afterwards.

The second book: "Implementing Lead-free Technology--A manufacturing Guide",
designed for actual production considering the assembly system (material,
solder joint interface, process, Pb-contamination, etc...) is based on actual
production and reliability test results. It should be noted that each successful
production of the frontier lead-free electronics producers was not lightly put
into implementation. Rather, they were verified and validated through a
thorough analysis and comprehensive testing program, particularly for higher
reliability products, with accelerated conditions above and beyond what the industry
has done for 63Sn37Pb,

For the ultimate effects of Bi, how much and how Bi is incorporated in a
solder joint and under what conditions determine positive or negative results. And
sometimes how the data is interpreted needs to be calibrated. This is not any
different from how much and the limit, albeit to different extents, of Ag or
Cu or Au or In or Pd or other elements can be introduced into any solder joint
without jeopardizing its integrity.

The same criteria (properties vs. dosage) apply to the elemental composition
of an originally designed alloy as well as to the resulting makeup of the
elemental constituents and composition of a solder joint after having additional
elements introduced to a solder joint.

Best Regards,
Jennie
Dr. Jennie Hwang
H-Technologies Group, Inc.
Office: 216-839-1000
Personal E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Subj:   Re: [LF] Leadfree Processing temp requirement