Subject: PCB Raw card Bow & Twist calculation Ref:  IPC-TM-650
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:43:02 -0500
From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: <[log in to unmask]>

Fellow TechNetters,

=20

Anyone out there cares to put in their 2=A2 worth.   I sure would =
appreciate the CLARIFICATION.

=20

   Given the following physical dimensions of a raw card I proceeded to =
apply the IPC-TM-650 Bow and Twist Method 2.4.22 step 5.2.2 for maximum =
allowable twist percentage for an SMT, ,75%, technology card.   Then =
confirmed that calculated thickness by applying 5.2.7 formula to confirm =
the SMT tolerance, .75%, guideline.   I also conducted the 5.3 Referee =
method (Twist) for a second correlation.   The 2 methods do not yield =
similar data.   Can you please help to explain where I went wrong.

=20

      Sample #1.  Length:     1.5 inches,

                  Width:      10.4 inches,

                  Diagonal:   14.75 inches,

                  Thickness:  0.062 thousands.

                  Technology: SMT

                  Target:     0.75%

=20

      5.2.2       Maximum Allowable Twist       R =3D 2(D)(T)/100  =3D  =
2(14.74)(.75)/100 =3D 0.22125

      5.2.7       Percentage Twist              R =3D R/2(D)x100   =3D  =
.22125/29.5x100 =3D .75

                  Therefore, the max allowable twist Go/No-GO thickness =
is 0.221125

   I proceeded with the exercise.

=20

      I place the sample on a granite rock.   While penning one edge of =
the sample I slide a Go/No-Go thickness gage on the corner onsite the =
pin edge which measured .042 thousands.   Now applying the formula for =
actual percentage twist.

                  R =3D R/2(D)x100 =3D .042/29.5x100 =3D 0.14237

                  The value of .14% is well below the maximum allowable =
.75% percent twist, acceptable product.

=20

    I proceeded with the exercise:

=20

      5.3 Referee Method.

                  Actual: R1 =3D 0.0955

                          R2 =3D 0.0590

      5.3.6       Percentage Twist =3D R1-R2/Lx100   =3D  0.0955 - =
0.0590/10.5 =3D 0.0034761   =3D  .34%

=20

   The results of 5.2.7 actual does not correlate to the results of =
5.3.6.   What's missing.

=20

   In advance I thank you for your timely response in this matter.

=20

Victor,

=20