RE: [TN] Pattern & panel plating why both ?

This is quite common.  Even though we are a "pattern" plate shop, every board we build has some panel plate on it.

We process through electroless copper then add what we call a strike plate, essentially a few 100 microinches of electrolytic copper.  Then we follow with pattern plate.

What's critical here is that the pattern plate copper height cannot exceed the thickness of the photoresist used to make the pattern.  Depending on the requirements of the board, the amount of strike (panel) is varied to avoid this issue.  Boards with high minimum PTH copper, higher aspect ratio, and/or areas of higher current density will get more panel with a corresponding decrease in etch capability.

This is why it's a bad idea to put fine lines on thick boards with small holes.

Mike McMaster
RF Product Engineer
Merix Corporation
503-992-4263