Membrane Keypad Problems

Our company produces a product which uses a membrane style keypad with a flexible ribbon tail that slides into an AMP Triomate connector. The tail has silver ink traces with a protective carbon coating in the area where the tail is inserted into the connector.

We have been experiencing field problems with keys not working. The fix that works is to pull the ribbon tail out of the connector and then reinsert it. One that came back that I worked on was "fixed" by only bumping the tail, I didn't even take it out of the connector. In discussing this with our supplier he remembers a bulletin that was put out either by AMP or IPC that describes a very similar problem if not the exact problem. He indicated that the report talked about the soldering of the Triomate connector on the board and that the heat caused changes in the connectors dimensions which in turn caused resistive "hot spots" which over time would subsequently intermittently fail.

Does anyone know if that white paper / bulletin exists, and if so, how I could get a copy. I tried searching the TechNet Archives and looked in the AMP/Tyco Web Site but could find nothing.

Thanks

Craig Patterson
Quality and Purchasing Manager
Acu-Rite Companies Inc.