I don't know about this presentation but I do recall that FETs in general are supposed to be subject to gradual degradation. It has been awhile but as I remember a manufacturer ( which one I don't remember ) had a caution in their data sheets about transient protection. This is not ESD but would be a similar effect. The transient level they warned about were fairly high but in some applications high level transient are common. I am not an expert in this field and am relying on memory so don't take this as fact.
-----Original Message-----
From: Martyn Gaudion [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 6:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Cumulative damage from ESD

Hi Alex,

I have like you always assumed it to be either or - If hit hard enough
device failure is catastrophic. But small discharges can also cause
degradation.

Some time ago (a long time ago !) I seem to remember 3M used to make a sales presentation where they
gradually destroyed a Mosfet by handing sample devices around a group of people, as the device was handed from person to person the gate leakage current was measured after each handling.  At each test
the gate leakage current gradually increased up to and beyond its spec, then at some point the gate was demonstrated to have failed completely.

Does anyone else remember this type of presentation?

Kind regards
Martyn Gaudion
Polar Instruments

www.polarinstruments.com