From: David Douthit [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 7:52 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Gross surface roughness and solderability

Bev,

A "rough" surface has a much larger surface area than a smooth clean one.
So the basic answer to your question is yes. There is a lot more work
needed to be done by the flux.

By the way the increased surface area will collect reactive gases and particles much more efficiently.

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC

Bev Christian wrote:

TechNetters,Can gross (and I mean gross) surface roughness of a component termination be enough to almost completely retard solderability compared to one with a smooth finish?  No, this is NOT a case of the roughness being a result of a thin coating being completely oxidized or having the intermetallic "come through".  That is not to say that the coating isn't oxidized on the surface, though.regards,Bev ChristianResearch in Motion

this email is prohibited.