Colleagues,

One of the final hurdles in the completion of Revision B for the IPC-6012 Qualification and Performance Specification for Rigid Printed Boards is the updating of Table 3-8, External Conductor Thickness after Plating.

A proposal was made at Expo 2003 to rebuild the table using Maximum Variable Processing Allowance Reductions, thereby increasing some of the minimum thickness requirements.  These new thickness requirements are based on changes to the existing processing allowance reductions, which were extracted from the table earlier this year.  Agreement could not be reached in the time allotted but several questions were posed, including:

Is there still a need for Table 3-8 when Table 3-2 provides minimum surface/hole plating values?

In the case of Table 3-8, what if all weights used the same processing allowance?

We will be holding a teleconference to continue discussion on this table on Wednesday, October 29th at 2PM Eastern, 11AM Pacific.  I would like for us to use this forum as a means to submit comments between now and then, at which time I will compile all the comments and make them available for the teleconference.

To access the teleconference, please dial 1-620-584-8200 and enter the passcode of 3366# when prompted by the audio beep.

To access the Table 3-8 proposal, visit the IPC Committee Home Page, located at

http://www.ipc.org/Committeepage.asp. The IPC-6012B External Copper Foil Table Proposal is available in Excel format.

When accessing this page, please select the “+” button to the left of the D-30 Rigid Printed Board Committee link, which expands to all the task group links below, and then select the D-33a Rigid Printed Board Performance Specification Task Group link.  Once you are at the web page for this task group, select the “Draft” link and you can download the Excel file.

If you have problems accessing the file please contact me at [log in to unmask] and I will send you a copy outside of this e-mail forum.

Regards,

John Perry

Technical Project Manager

IPC