After having thought a little more on this, I will expound my answer. It seems that all assume that high permeability is a bad thing but in my opinion it is not that simple and a high permeability may even be preferable. If you have adequate cleanliness on the assembly prior to applying the coating, the moisture penetrating the coating will not be a problem and the permeability will then not be an issue. It is when you have to much hygroscopic and ionic contamination beneath the coating that you may get problem with delamination and electrochemical migration. Even if you use Parylene, quite a lot of moisture will be picked up by hygroscopic contamination beneath it in a few days in a humid environment. If you then turn the euipment on and the board is heated due to power dissipation, it will take much longer time to dry up the assembly if you have a coating with low water permeability. And it is during this time period electrochemical migration will occur. Therefore, a silicone coating may actually be better than Parylene in this case.

Per-Erik Tegehall
IVF
-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Tegehall Per-Erik
Skickat: den 5 september 2003 08:38
Till: [log in to unmask]
Ämne: Re: [TN] Silicone conformal coating

Steve,

It depends on what you mean with good moisture resistance. All conformal coatings absorbs moisture but the diffusion rates of water in the coatings and the saturation level varies. Water molecules have a high diffusion rate in silicone coatings but the saturation level is lower than in most other coatings. Which is to be prefered? It probably depend on the application.

However, a general statement of good moisture resistance, I interpret as that the coating properties are not degraded by moisture.

Per-Erik Tegehall
IVF