From: Black, Paul [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: September 24, 2003 7:57 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Solder Balls

Hi TechNet Gurus,

Has anyone experienced solder balls resulting from the board fabrication process? We have been getting them from our offshore supplier for a few months now and have had to add a wash step to our no-clean process. We know that it's fro the board because we have run bare boards through the reflow oven using the normal reflow recipe from that board and we are seeing 25-60 random solder balls on our 9" x 7", 8 layer, .062", HASL FR4  board. We believe the problem is caused by uncured solder mask that erupts when exposed to reflow temperatures but have been unsuccessful trying to eliminate the problem. We have tried baking the board @ 320 F for anywhere from 1.5 - 6 hours. This has reduced the number of solder balls to maybe a dozen or less. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you,
Paul Black
Manufacturing Engineer
Kronos