We have an AOI process but we put it after reflow.  We felt that if a problem was found after the reflow, AOI we could still easily be used for subsequent boards after pick and place if there are issues.    That way we elevated some of potential for backlog at this step of the process.  We still do a placement and value first article for run approvals.  And We also do a sampling throughout the run to verify AOI is performing to our expectations.

Kathy Kuhlow
Quality Manager
BTW, Inc.
11551 Eagle Street NW Suite 3
Coon Rapids, MN  55448

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/29/03 02:28PM >>>
We are in the process of deciding whether or not to put our AOI's In-Line
either after the placement equipment and/or after the reflow oven.

We are a small lot/high mix facility.

We know the advantages of placing AOI in-line -- Catching problems before
they are reflowed, real-time feedback, etc, etc, etc.

BUT...we've have also heard some disadvantages such as the equipment
being a bottleneck, the need to have an additional operator to run the line,
and, programming time eating into capacity (even though off-line programming
packages are available) to name a few.

My feeling is that I'd love to have an in-line machine before and after the
reflow oven and I'd love to add more operators to man these machines.
But, I can't always get want I want -- I can try sometimes -- but I don't always
get what I please!

So ... Just wondering what others think about this.

-Carrie