From: Blair K. Hogg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 10:01 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Cracking Ceramic SMT Capacitors

Carrie,

We have also seen cracking caps after this type of depanelization. I just can't seem to grasp the forces during this process that would cause a capacitor to crack. Do you have any further insight into this?

Thanks,

Blair

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/28/03 09:54AM >>>
We have seen an increase in cracking.
The root cause for us is depanelizing using a rotary style blade cutter.
Caps and some filters too close to the edge are most subject to damage
due to the forces imparted on the board when depanelizing.  Often we
can eliminate the problem by flipping the board over during depanelize, but,
that does not always work and since we do not have the tools to analyze the
forces during the depanelize process, any changes like flipping the board
over is essentially a bit of a gamble.

-Carrie