----- Original Message -----
  From: Morse, Carrie
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 5:29 AM
  Subject: Re: [TN] FW: BGA question

  Dave,
  Here are some quick answers to your questions based on some of the things we have seen:
  a.  This problem may be package and may be SMT process.  It's possible that the component is warping or, has delaminated due to moisture cause this effect.  The component may come in this way, or, the problem may be induced prior to SMT (moisture), or, due to excessive heat/improper profile.  Also, it may be due to improper screening (too much/not enough/inconsistent paste deposition).  May also be due to inconsistent BGA spheres from supplier.
  b.  Inspection prior to SMT may include a simple visual or, may be as in depth as using an automated optical inspection machine (i.e.:  RVSI) to inspect sphere size and coplanarity.  We do not do any visual inspection prior to placement.
  c.  I do not know if you can tell if a BGA has been re-balled.  There are so many means of doing so.  Some entail reballing with actual balls.  Others entail reballing by screening paste.  Depending on the method, my best guess is that the spheres would be shinier if done with just paste.  But, I'm not sure.
  d.  I do not know if it is customary for distributors to reball.   It is probably more likely for assembly houses to reball.  But, there are some really good reballing capabilities out there, so, reballing may not be the root cause.
  e.  Don't know.
  f.  Black pad may be the root cause of poor contact.  You may want to remove the BGA and take a look.  Another root cause may be insufficient profile.  Another root cause may be insufficient cleaning after reflow if using an OA paste.

  When you X-ray, do some of the spheres look oblong?  Do some look much larger than others?  If so, what is the pattern of those that look larger?

  -Carrie