Just one note - our State (Indiana) issues a permit/certification for all x-ray equipment and it needs displayed on the equipment item.
-----Original Message-----
From: Cal Driscoll [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 1:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] X-RAY Inspection System-Rules for New Users

Bob-
We just went through a similar eval with our safety team.
We did not need special insurance due to low low level power and minimal x-ray scatter produced by the system..
We did how ever implement a safety program using a radiation survey meter to detect ionizing radiation.
On our scheduled weekly and monthly PM's we now have maintenance take a radiation survey to keep on file.
The Rad Survey meter runs about $400us.
With the maintenance (and tracking) schedule in place we opted not to have associates wear dosimeter badges.
Dosimeter badges usually are worn for one month...sent to a lab to see the Rad presence and then a report sent back to us. We felt we could keep a better handle on worker safety providing weekly monitoring.

We also have checked into the x-ray cabinet to make sure it is properly lead lined in all directions.

The next question is...what will replace the lead in an x-ray cabinet when we go LEAD_FREE ?? <WINK>

Enjoy,
Cal Driscoll
Communications Test Design, Inc.
WWW.ctdi.com