From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Rich Lasko
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 7:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Potting Problems

Good morning all,

Background info...

I am currently faced with a potting problem that I am hoping some of you can shed some light on.  We are currently using a Hysol US5500 compound.  (1 : 1 resin & catalyst mix)  I am dispensing this from two (2) 5 gal containers located in 10 gal pressurized tanks (blanketed with Nitrogen only - no shop air introduced)  (We are using a PVA dispensing system).  We have checked all the tank and hose fittings/gaskets for any leakage to ensure no outside air / moisture is getting into these containers.

Now the problem...

Using brand new compound from the vendor, we can achieve the clear - amber solidified compound with virtually no "bubbles".  However, around the third day of production we start noticing hundreds of very small bubbles (smaller than the tip of a ball point pen ) in the compound.  I have had numerous conversations with both the potting compound mfg and PVA to determine HOW the material is becoming "contaminated" after a few days of usage.  Please note, once we get in a new batch of compound the cycle begins again.  (The first few days are perfect and then around the 3rd day or so...more bubbles)  The potting mfg has discussed that this compound is susceptible to moisture contamination but we are struggling for answers because the dispensing system appears to be a closed loop system without any outside air introduction.

Any thoughts or insight would be helpful.

TIA...

Rich Lasko

Quality Assurance Manager

Badger Electronics