From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Gaby
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2003 7:18 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Nickel separation

Dear TechNetters,
We encountered an unusual failure .
After mounting and reflowing BGA's on a ENIG plated board, they failed the electrical test showing opens and intermittent contact.
We tried to repair the failure by reflowing them again with our SRT, after developing a good profile. The result was that some of the opens dissappeared, but new ones appeared.
We decided to remove the failed BGA and replace it with a new one. After removal of the old component , we tried to prepare the circuit pads for replacement. During this operation we observed that the nickel plating separated from the copper on many pads and after performing a cross section of the area. we saw that other pads had nickel separation and solder under the nickel (which creeped there during pad preparation).
It is the first time that I saw this failure.
Any comments?
Gaby
Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315