From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Creswick, Steven
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 12:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Gold wire bond on silver finishings

David,

I can not say that I have bonded to immersion silver (yet), but have begun to consider it.

Getting down to only 6 microinches sounds a little questionable - especially if the boards have experienced reflow, and have possibly sat around prior to die attach (another bake/cure) and wire bonding.  Are you sure you are getting 6 microinches??  At 6, you might just as well ask for a "flash" and keep your fingers and toes crossed that everything will work -  and that you did not get 2, 3 , maybe 4 microinches instead.

With thin gold, I would expect to see lifted wedges at the bonder (no sticks), and low second bond pull strengths at wire pull.  I would expect virgin boards to give better results than those boards subjected to any elevated temperatures and/or staging times prior to wire bonding.

I begin to get really nervous if my 1 mil wires began to have bond failures at <6-9 grams (depending upon the tensile strength of the wire).  Wire breaks I can sleep with, but the bond lifts scare me!

Lastly, you have not indicated whether this is the "first time" you have bonded to these boards (and may still be seeking the optimium bond schedule and capillary face style/angle), or you have been running them all along, and just now have begun to have a problem.

Is your laminate capable of handling the temperature at which you are bonding?

The "fifth degree", not intended.  :-)

Steven Creswick

Gentex Corporation - A Smarter Vision