From: Creswick, Steven [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 5:46 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Gold plating shelf life and discoloration resolution

Joe,

If it is a high temp leaded cofired ceramic package that I am used to, the high temp ceramic parts are typically brazed with a copper/silver eutectic alloy (~780°C).  Any leads will typically have been pre-plated with at least a flash of nickel.  Following the brazing operation (in a reducing atmosphere), the entire joint is nickel and (most often) SOFT gold plated, otherwise nothing could be wire bonded.

If the gold is porous AND the parts are subjected to heat and room environment, solderability/wire bondability will be affected (over a time period of weeks and months), but you have virtually virgin parts!!  "Storage" is humidity controlled, right?

My two bits is that you have poor (or should I say, 'pore' plating).  The base metal stain should not be coming through 60 microinches of decent gold and underlying nickel plating unless there is a pore, or a crack, or a scratch of some kind.  As a point of verification, can you pop the part in a SEM and run an EDS on it to see if you see Fe if a kovar, or alloy 42 lead frame (or Copper if copper based)?  These elements should not be at the surface of the gold of a virgin part.

If he were to place the component in a salt fog environment alongside a 'good' package style, the one with porous plating will fail much sooner...

Baking sounds like a plating adhesion test.  If porous platings, the problems will only get WORSE.

I would think that a decent supplier would acknowledge that staining/discoloration is NOT a normal condition, and would take the parts back for FREE replacement (unless they are a special design, and something about the design promoted to the problem).

Otherwise, it sounds like someone had some crap on the shelf they wanted to unload.

I would not be in favor of use of these parts without seeing pictures of the severity of the problem

Steve Creswick - Gentex Corp