Hi All!

We're building a board for a customer that calls out a SOJ40 Toshiba RAM (TC528128BJ-80) that is failing quite a bit. Out of 68 boards tested so far, 25 have failed because of the RAM chip.

This part is no longer made by Toshiba, but there are tons of them out on the market, and most of them are 1995 datecode or earlier...the ones we have are 9511 and 9430. Yeah that's pretty old...the ones we have were reconditioned, you can tell that they've been re-tinned.

I was thinking that maybe it was learned that there was a problem with these chips, that's why Toshiba quit making them...and that might explain why there's literally thousands and thousands of them out on the market. You normally don't see those kind of quantities with obsolete parts...

Has anybody ever heard of a problem with that particular Toshiba part?

Just curious,

-Steve Gregory-