I am probably not alone in feeling twitchy about this, if the solvent you
are using does not run off the board then  really you haven't removed
anything, but dispersed it so you or your customer can't see it.
I suppose you could say it has been absorbed by the pen, but If it has been
absorbed by the pen it is just put back down in increasing concentrations
each time you use the pen....
Or you could argue that as the assembly works the residues  must be
dispersed enough so that the amount per area is below some critical point
and therefore no longer a hazard.

I suppose if the customer specifies it and/or is happy with product
reliability then it is OK, but I still feel twitchy.

Regards

Mike Fenner

Applications Engineer, European Operations
Indium Corporation
T: + 44 1908 580 400
M: + 44 7810 526 317
F: + 44 1908 580 411