Hi Howard,

I dont know what the results would be off dropping a reel but it would be a lot less
damage than dropping a tray and picking the parts off the floor.  The machines we
use have a locking feature for all larger reels so that the reels cant be knocked
off if someone collides with them, and I imagine that you could do a simple mod to
one of your feeders if you are worried about this.

Regards,

Chris Murphy

Howard Watson wrote:

> Chris & all,
>
> Thanks for all the information.  The feedback seems to be split on using trays vs.
> tape & reel for fine pitch QFP's.  I think I will slowly migrate to T & R one
> component at a time, evaluating the defect data.  One other question for those who
> have success with T & R, what happens if the reel is dropped?  I know, just don't
> drop the reel,  but I've seen many a reel get knocked off the feeder.  On the flip
> side, I have also seen components damaged from trays that were mishandled.
>
> Thanks once again to all for the input - it really helps to hear what others are
> doing.
>
> Howard Watson
> SMT Manufacturing Engineer
> AMETEK/Dixson
>

>  Chris Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
   Sent by: TechNet                                   To:
   <[log in to unmask]>                 [log in to unmask]
                                                      cc:
   07/10/03 02:22 PM                                  Subject:        Re: [TN] SOT
   Please respond to "TechNet E-Mail Forum."; 23 placed upside down
   Please respond to Chris Murphy