Techies,

This is a serious issue and it's a good topic for this forum... I have had the opportunity to be exposed to
three sides of this complex picture during my career. First as a software developer, second
as a marketer of ATE products (bare board testers), and now as a PCB fabricator.

As a PCB fabricator with excess capacity and a need to sell off idle equipment, I find it
extremely frustrating to have my vendors (current and past) openly threaten my employer
with litigation if we attempted to re-sell some of our excess equipment.

These vendors demanded involvement during the resale process that would have made
Bill Gates proud and probably would have the Justice Department gleeful at the potential.
They wanted to be present on our sites to remove any operating systems or executable
applications. This unethical intrusion into our business had an adverse affect on our
ability to sell off our excess equipment. Long term we have started the process of
replacing these vendors.

These vendors should have done their home work when they were selling and installing
their products from the beginning. As, Joe mentioned, Big Blue, would only lease their
main frames. My old ATE employer gave a life time software license that followed the
tester. As long as you had title, they supported the tester. Maybe that's why they
are still in business.

We are firmly committed to intellectual properties and licenses, it is the cornerstone of
our business. It is a large part of my personal responsibility and job function.  Our
Vendors cannot change their business methods because the current economic conditions
are not in their favor or because their products are not viable in today's market.

Jim Axton
Corporate Director of Test