Steve

ISO requires that you follow your own procedures.  What do your internal
procedures require?  You will probably find that the ISO requirements are
less stringent than the restrictions from internal specifications that were
written to satisfy the ISO requirements.

ISO9001-1994 merely requires documented procedures defining the manner of
production, installation, and servicing, where the absence of such
procedures could adversely affect quality (4.9 (a))

ISO 9001-2000 requires the availability of work instructions, as necessary
(7.5.1 (b))

This leads to the obivous question of "What's a work instruction?"  The
answer is that it is the instructions needed to perform the function
properly.  Work instructions can take the form of formal step-by-step
instructions, flow charts, pictures, prints, or who knows what.  In other
words, it's up to you to define and justify what is necessary to ensure
quality to comply with ISO requirements.  Keep in mind that specific
customer or regulatory agency requirements may place additional restrictions
on your freedom of choice.

Just my opinion.  I'm sure others will offer variations or contradictory
advice.  In the end it's up to each organization to define the processes and
procedures needed to achieve customer satisfaction.  Documents like ISO
provide an outline of the elements of an effective quality system.  For the
most part, they don't dictate the particulars of how the elements must be
implemented.

Don Vischulis