Alexis,

The impedance value is set by the relationship of the signal trace width and
its distance through the specific dielectric with its inherent
characteristics to the return path of that signal, (i.e. ground plane,
etc.). If you change the core thickness of the board, you must also verify
that the relationships of the signal to return path have not varied,
otherwise you will get unexpected electrical performance results from the
board. If the fabrication drawing specifies the cores and layering
structure, I would not deviate from that without an ECO. The comments about
test are very valid, you may be unwittingly requiring your engineering test
department have to re-do a complete DVT (Design Verification Test) all over
again and loose what ever money the board vendor wished to try to save you
on this particular run of boards.

I would not give the PCB board shop the authorization to deviate. Find
another vendor or get this one to sign up to the fabrication drawing
requirements.

Best regards,

Bill Brooks