From: Howard Watson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 11:58 AM
To: Morse, Carrie
Cc: TechNet E-Mail Forum.
Subject: RE: [TN] Coplanarity of PLCC's

Carrie,

This is a tape & reel component, and I can't find any internal cause.  The leads that don't solder are visibly bent inwards, but on a "J" lead, when it gets pushed inward, the amount of vertical lift is much less - it's like a pendulum.  What I'm concerned about is if the coplanrity is close to the .004" spec, then the bent leads won't touch solder paste until all the leads are .004" or more into the paste.  I'm not sure if that will work on this size component, with a .007" thick paste deposit.  From that standpoint, using a thicker stencil to get taller paste deposits probably won't do anything if I can't get the component more into the paste.  Is it normal to push a PLCC 68 more than half way into the paste?

Howard Watson
SMT Manufacturing Engineer
AMETEK/Dixson

        "Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>