This is the method I have used most often as well. In fact bought the solder fountain for that purpose. Components of that price can quickly pay for the investment. In our case the PGA's were rescreened and cost $1500.  This is probably the best method for both the part and the PWB. I do however install with the fountain most of the time, but do agree that it is operator dependent.  You definitely do not want one giant bridge under the part. Is a bad thing.
Charles Caswell

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Popielarski [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 10:00 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] Pin Grid Array

Hello Yannick,

I have found the easiest way to remove a PGA (worked with lots of them in the late 80's at Unisys/Burroughs) is with a "mini wave". Sort of a tiny wave solder pump with nozzles that form a shape approximating the size of the device. Once you've removed the component, the holes need to be cleared out using a vacuum solder extractor, then replacement of the device performed by hand soldering. Replacement could be performed with the "mini wave" but it is very operator dependent.

Regards,

Ed Popielarski
QTA Machine
10 Mc Laren, Ste D