Hi Bev!

The minimum vertical hole fill is defined as follows:

Class 1: Not specified, with a 270-degree circumferential fillet and wetting on the secondary (solder source side) of lead and barrel, and a 75% coverage of the land area on the secondary side.

Class 2: 75% fill, with a 270-degree circumferential fillet and wetting on the secondary (solder source side) of lead and barrel, and a 75% coverage of the land area on the secondary side.

Class 3: 75% fill,ith a 330-degree circumferential fillet and wetting on the secondary (solder source side) of lead and barrel, and a 75% coverage of the land area on the secondary side.

You can go down to a 50% vertical fill, with 360-degree fill around the lead with 100% wetting from the barrel to the lead on the solder source side, for class 1 & 2, but not for class 3...and that's when there are thermal planes connected to the barrel and act as heat sinks.

Then there's the statement in certain situations, less than 100% may not be acceptable.

No "there was a relaxation of solder fill when and if the lead of the component was not sufficiently large enough compared to the PTH to which it was soldered". statement anywhere in the -610 that I can read...

-Steve Gregory-

Technetters,
Someone in our company is quite sure "there was a relaxation of solder fill when and if the lead of the component was not sufficiently large enough compared to the PTH to which it was soldered".  I have no recollection of such a change in A610. But the maybe some of my brain cells are on vacation.  Can anyone comment on the statement about hole fill, please?  Thanks.

Bev Christian
Research in Motion