From: Steve Gregory [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 10:53 AM
Subject: Trace thickness problem...

Hi all!

I'd like your opinion on something. We're building a prototype assembly for a customer, and discovered something at final inspection that we didn't see when we received the bare fabs. We ordered 16-boards in four, 4-up panels.

We found a trace that has a spot where it looks like it didn't plate up during final plating. Take a look at "Trace Thickness" at http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com

There's 4-boards we've found that have this problem, 1 on one panel, and 3 on another panel, and of course they're all built up. The 6012 says that thickness can't be reduced by more than 20% of the minimum conductor thickness. I can't really tell if it's 20% or 50%.

I've sent pictures both to our customer and the fab vendor. The customer wants the spot repaired, and there are a number of ways to do that. The fab vendor says it's not a problem because the stack-up drawing calls out 1-oz. copper after plating on the surface layer, and they said that there's more like 2-oz. on the surface layer, so there shouldn't be any problem, at least that's what I was told, I didn't speak to anyone directly. The stack-up is on my page too, look at "Stack-up"...

The first question that comes to my mind, if 1-oz after plating was called on the stack-up, why was 2-oz plated? Or is that normal?. The drawing references our customers internal spec for fabrication, but it uses MIL-PRF-55110 for references.

What are your opinions about this?

Thanks everyone!

-Steve Gregory-

Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315