  From: Howard Watson
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 2:38 PM
  Subject: [TN] Sideways Resistors

  Technetters,

  I'm not sure if others see this situation, but it's a somewhat rare occurrence when we see some resistors, like 0805's, soldered on their sides.  Though it's not a defect per the conditions of IPC-A-610, I am still curious as to the root cause.  I don't know if they somehow get placed on their side or if they get pulled up that way during soldering.  Our P&P machine is a Mydata MY15, we use no-clean with reflow in air, HASL boards, 6 mil stencil w/ homeplate apertures.

  Any thoughts?

  Howard Watson
  SMT Manufacturing Engineer
  Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315