Hi Technetters -
Per Steve's comment on Solder Paste quality -

I think it is the same with any product out there that is, for the most part,
a commodity - there is the good, the bad and the ugly.
The sad fact is, you have to evaluate and qualify the solder paste you are
about to use for the environment you are using it in (as Steve well knows).
You wouldn't purchase a car based on sales rep and spec sheet hype - you have
to test it yourself. Over time, your company will be making quite an
investment in solder paste that will be consumed in production.

As someone who has done countless solder paste evaluations and taught
workshops of solder paste testing over the last 12 years, I can assure you
that not all solder pastes are the same.  There are some great formulations
out there that are robust and accommodate a wide range of environmental
factors with great tacktime and worklife.  On the other hand, there is a lot
of crap out there. For example, some solder pastes do a great job at
generating solder balls (without any help from other deficiencies in the
process).

But, if a company is producing a substandard solder paste, how do they stay
in business?  Because very few users take the time and effort to evaluate
solder paste.  Sometimes, when I come in to a client to do a Process Audit, I
can immediately tell that they never did valid solder paste qualification
testing. If they had, they would never be using the solder paste that they
are.

In lieu of solder paste evaluations, there are two main reasons users give me
for using the paste they are using.
1: "We've been using this paste ever since I was here and I've been here for
5 years. It seems to work so why change..." I call this the "Legacy
Syndrome".
2.  "We like the sales rep - he gets us tickets to the _____ games, etc."
This is called "The Salesman Gives Good Lunch" excuse.

Solder paste must be evaluated before selection and incorporation into a
process.  The candidate supplier should also have a good support reputation.
This is not always the case.

By the way - just because the batch of solder paste contains a Certificate of
Compliance (C of C) doesn't guarantee quality either.  Lot's of time, less
scrupulous companies will just stick one in there without actually testing
the batch.

One additional note - with the advent of lead-free solder alloys and
finishes, the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Fortunately for us, there are some excellent suppliers out there - it's those
other ones you better watch out for.  Caveat emptor.

Phil Zarrow
ITM Consulting
Durham, NH  USA
www.ITMconsulting.org