Steve,

I have soldered both type and I agree that nickel plated wire is more
difficult to "wet".
The nickel will oxidize quite rapidly and requires a more aggressive
flux and/or heat to get good "wetting".
This is particularly true for wire that has been "laying around" for 6
months or more and for the
the cut end of the wire.

You should consider pre-tining this wire before attempting repairs.

David A. Douthit
Manager
LoCan LLC