Hi All,

I was posed this question by one of our customers. I don't have any
experience with nickel plated wire, but it would seem to me to be difficult to solder
to. I've used tin plated, and silver plated wire before with no problems. But I
didn't know that silver plated wire had corrosion problems. Any inputs?

In the future we are going to be changing to specify a nickel plated wire
(M22759/10-28-9) for PWA repair.  The previous part number was a silver plated
wire.  We haven't used this before.  Do you or any of your manufacturing people
know of issues with solderabiliby when using a nickel plated wire or any
special process that should be used?

The history of this is IPC-7721 paragraph 6.1 says silver plated wire must
not be used because it can cause corrosion of wire in certain situations. Turns
out that when you follow MIL-23200 the allowed wire is either silver plated or
nickel plated.  We would have preferred tin plated wire but it doesn't appear
to fall under the allowed MIL-23200 options.

Thanks in advance!!!

-Steve Gregory-