Steve

I agree with your assessment that the reduced trace height violates the
requirements of IPC-6012.  My experience is that this is probably not the
only spot on the board or in the manufacturing lot.  You should give
everything in that shipment (from the same date code) a through examination.
Given both the reduced conductor thickness and the spacing violation in a
small area, I suspect that the problem was caused by plating resist.  I
don't know of an easy way to determine if this is localized to one spot on
one panel or if it exists throughout the lot.  If you have a decent
relationship with the fabricator, you can ask if they had fall-out or ask
for a copy of their manufacturing records to determine if other parts were
scrapped.  Most fabricators keep accurate records of pieces started and
quantity scrapped for every lot.

I've known design engineers (on a good day) to buy off a board like this.
Personally, I wouldn't because it's too difficult to inspect 100% of the
surface after the components are mounted, and there's a chance that a defect
falls in the land/barrel junction area.

To answer your other question regarding the outer layer copper thickness:
The call out appears to be in error.  The fabricator has to start with
copper on the outer layer  (usually 1/2 or 1 ounce) then plates copper in
the holes and on the surface.  Generally, if a fabricator plates 0.001 inch
in the holes the surface will end up with an extra ounce (0.0013 to 0.0014)
on the surface.  (This is a generalization that does not apply in all
cases.)

Don Vischulis