Hi Technetters,

I'm hoping that your vast experiences can offer me some advice. I'm in the
process of evaluating a couple of low-end selective soldering machines to
remove and replace a 68 pin PLCC through-hole socket. Removing the part is
easy but I'm concerned about using the machine to replace the part. Both of
the manufacturers recommend fluxing the part and the area of the board where
it will be inserted. I have both water-soluble and no-clean flux available
(the no-clean is preferred) but I'm worried that the process is so quick (no
preheat) that the flux will not fully burn off and I will be left with a
potential reliability issue. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Paul Black
Manufacturing Engineer
Kronos
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Voice: (978) 947-1520
Fax: (978) 244-0568
www.kronos.com
Improving the Performance of People and Business(tm)