Steve,

I am the EMS manufacturing interface for a major OEM so I wanted to give you my take of the situation.

I can think of several pluses and minuses to adding apertures to unpopulated sites:

Pluses:
1) If you need to populate the site in the future you do not need to order a new stencil.
2) You don't risk deleting the wrong apertures.

Minuses:
1) A site with glue and no parts can be a source of confusion.  A site without glue is an obvious sign that no part should be placed.
2) If you have to apply a part post assembly, you will have to remove the glue first.

My view is there is no harm in having solder on the pads or glue between the pads.  In the rare occurrence there is something that the glue interferes with you can always plug the holes.  If you were my EMS I would not be concerned.

To make a #@%$@ statement - since this is a wavesoldered assembly do you have to add solder resist or kapton tape to the attachment pads to prevent the wavesolder from applying solder?  If you can't add solder paste why is it okay to add solder from the wave?

Russell Nowland
Lucent Technologies, Suite 100
7725 West Reno Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73127