All,

It is widely understood that ESD can be extremely destructive to sensitive components - such as EEPROMs.

My question is this:  Once an EEPROM has been placed, reflowed, tested, programmed - and let's say is then introduced to some strong ESD - what sort of evidence will prove that a future failure is attributable to ESD?  Will the data in the EEPROM be corrupted?  Is there a way to tell?  Is there an experiment that can be suggested?  Is there documentation out there that describes the aftermath of a static shock on an EEPROM?

I, on occasion, receive RMA modules back that show evidence of some programming, but the data has obviously been corrupted at some point and I am trying to ascertain whether or not it could be an ESD issue (some customer's ESD practices are at best - questionable) or possibly a test/programming related issue...  maybe even both.

All help, documents, suggestions, ideas, etc will be appreciated.