From: Howard Watson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 4:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [TN] Finger cots/Gloves/nothing?

Advice requested,

I'm sure this topic has been broached before, but I would like to solicit your opinions on the subject of using fingercots or gloves verses using bare hands when handling components or PCB's before soldering or conformal coating (IPC Class II).  I tried to do a TechNet search on this, but it failed to go through for some reason.

I am of the opinion that careful handling of components or PCB's by their non-soldering surfaces with clean bare hands is the way to go.  Of course, it is up to manufacturing personnel to keep their hands in a clean condition.  From what I have seen, gloves just tend to soak up and disperse multiple contaminants on soldering surfaces and they give personnel a false sense of security.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance for the advice.

Howard Watson
SMT Manufacturing Engineer
Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315