From: Smith, Russell (US LA) [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 2:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] First Pass Yields

    You are so right Steve,  I knew someone would bring an example like that
, I was thinking sorting coins by denomination myself , the apples are a
great one too! .
 Any time something is open to interpretation it is! Remember the infamous "
that depends on what your definition of IS is "...

  I guess the point I am really trying to make is 100 percent inspection can
be made redundant,if the manufacturing processes are controlled. It costs a
lot of money to sort and scrap , or sort and repair. Money that should be
spent in prevention, prevent a defect and you not only save that part, but
the time would would have used for remake, can now be making you a salable
product.
     It has always struck me odd in our industry , that a company will drop
several million on AOI equipment , and never hire an engineer to use the
data that can be generated by the AOI to solve the issues. I once worked for
an organization that the VP said: "the only reason he had a quality
department was his customers expected it". , and he didn't believe in
process controls. (it goes without saying that company is no longer in
business).

Are we having fun yet ! , I once heard someone at Nepcon many years ago
state that there were over a million variables and interactions in making a
PC board. I think I would have been much happier growing Green Apples, but

best regards always , to the industry , that makes the world function!

My hats off to all of you that make it work no matter what it takes!!!

Russell Smith