Good morning everyone,

I am having a debate with regards to first pass yields and how testing strategy (ie.. ICT or Functional Test) plays a role.

I am looking for any "factual data" or "industry studies" that have been done to show the difference in yields between a batch of assemblies that are subjected to only visual inspection and to those batches that receive visual inspection and some type of ICT or functional test.  I have my own internal data that shows the differences but want to compare that against the industry.

Summary - I have a customer that is expecting 99% First pass yield (including board functionality) to their facility but does not utilize or want ICT or functional testing done to their products.  Now the old rule of thumb that I've gone by for many years is that visual inspection is approx. 80% accurate and there are bound to be defects that slide through this visual inspection process.  To consistently achieve yields in the high 90%'s additional test strategies should be looked into.  Note: The boards in question range anywhere from 200 components per board to approx. 2000 components per board.

Any feedback or published industry articles documenting the yield differences between visual inspections only and using ICT/Functional testing would be very helpful!

P.S. I have a meeting at 1:30pm today (Central Time) so any feedback before then would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich Lasko

Badger Electronics