The easiest way to tell the difference between Vacrel and the Dynachem mask is to dissolve some flakes in a solvent such as DMSO, DMF, or any solvent that will dissolve the cured mask. Run a UV spectra in the lab versus a control of either two. Should be able to distinguish the two from the difference in the spectra.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Steve Gregory
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 11:02 AM
Subject: [TN] Flaking Mask

Hi All!

I've got a problem that I ran into a few years back, and I thought I had solved it.

We've built a couple of pretty pricey assemblies ($4,000 +), that has the mask flaking off of all copper features. Via's, traces, everything...

When we had this problem before, a Dynachem Dynamask dry film was used. Since then, whenever dry film mask is called out on the fab drawing, we specifically call out Dupont Vacrel 8100, since we learned back then that this dry-film is not affected by the Aquanox XJN we use in cleaning. Go to:

http://www.stevezeva.homestead.com and look at MaskFlake 1-3

The mask flakes off when it is washed in our Electrovert MCS-1000 batch cleaner after 2 or 3 wash cycles. We use the Kyzen Aquanox XJN according to the manufacturers specifications. We run it in a 20-25% concentration with DI water. The concentration is measured twice a day with a refractometer. The cleaning cycle is as follows:

6-minute wash
4-minute rinse
2-minute final rinse
6-minute dry
Wash Temperature 140 F.
Rinse Temperature 110 F.

We have two fully loaded assemblies that exhibit this problem, and at $4,000 each, this is not good.

The fab vendor swears that the Dupont dry film was used. But over the past few years since we've always called out the Vacrel, we have NEVER had the problem like we did with the Dynachem Dynamask.

Have any of you ever had this problem? Is there any way (visually) to tell the difference between the Dupont and the Dynachem?

The way this mask came off, sure is like it was the Dynachem dry film...

-Steve Gregory-
Please visit IPC web site http://www.ipc.org/html/forum.htm for additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or 847-509-9700 ext.5315