OK, I have one of those occasions where two parties disagree on the procedure outlined in a specification.  In this case it's the Edge Dip Test in J-STD-003 (section 4.2.1).  I'd appreciate the input of the experts on Technet on the interpretations outlined below.  I'll try to do this so as not to convey among which party I reside.

According to spec, the sample to be used is not to exceed 2"x2".  After sample preparation, paragraph 4.2.1.4.2 says "...the specimen shall be immersed into the molten solder edgewise to a depth of 1"+/- .08".  The dwell time in the molten solder shall be 3.0+/-0.3 sec minimum.  Immersion and emersion rates shall be 1+/- 0.08" per second."

The disagreement involves the definition of "immerse".  My Webster's dictionary says that immerse can mean to dip or plunge.  One party (dippers) interprets this procedure as lowering the specimen until 1" of it is in the solder bath, then withdrawing it after 3 seconds and inspecting for acceptability.   The other party (plungers) says that the whole sample or at least that part which is to be inspected should be 1" below the surface of the molten solder.

While I have you're attention I'd also appreciate comments on two issues around the timing.  First, what does 3.0 +/- 0.3 sec minimum mean?  Minimum is a minimum. To me, anything above the minimum is OK, below is not.  How do I interpret the tolerance on this?

And when do you start and stop counting the three seconds?  If you're a dipper is it when the leading edge enters/exits the solder? Or the trailing edge?  If a plunger, is it only once the leading (or trailing edge) reaches the depth of 1"?  Depending on the answer, I can see that the trailing edge could be in the solder for as little as 1 second (start and stop when leading edge enter and exit solder) or as long as 5 seconds (start timing when sample reaches 1" depth and stop timing once retraction starts).

I look forward to your input.
Mike McMaster
RF Product Engineer
Merix Corporation