Hi Steve,

It's my understanding that Nickel plating is very lossy to high freq RF... you might try not plating it at all.. leave it bare copper. Use OSP to keep it clean until assembly. High freq RF does not seem to be affected by copper oxide on the surface of the trace.  Also the smaller the trace is and the closer it is to the substrate, the more signal is affected by deviations from the nominal physical configuration of the microstrip. . A small change in the line width will be a large percentage change in the overall impedance of the trace. This particular 4 mil line with a 2 mil dielectric configuration would see more changes and inconsistencies in impedance matching along the circuit due to changes in process variations... just because of the physical geometry and the difficulty in maintaining uniformity and consistency in the width of the trace and its percentage change with etching and cross section of the dielectric under the trace and its distance from the ground plane. A larger width trace with thicker dielectric would be less sensitive to changes in geometries because the percentage overall change would be less.

It also occurs to me that the stripline model might be more successful in this sort of design... you might want to simulate a model like that and see what you come up with, based on the application.

Wish I could help you more... but I think you need to get an RF Microwave Engineer into this one....

Bill Brooks
PCB Design Engineer , C.I.D., C.I.I.
TITAN SYSTEMS CORPORATION
DATRON WORLD COMMUNICATIONS DIVISION
3030 Enterprise Court, Vista, CA 92083
Email:
Website: http://www.dtwc.com/
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
_______________________________________
Adjunct Instructor - DT210 PCB Design, RM E13
Palomar College , Trades and Industries Dept.
1440 West Mission Road
San Marcos, CA 92069-1487
Tel: (760)744-1150 Ext 5584
http://www.palomar.edu/
Member of the San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://www.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://home.fda.net/bbrooks/pca/pca.htm

"Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing"

Wernher von Braun (1912-1977) German-US engineer