  From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Dwight Mattix
  Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 11:04 AM
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: [TN] Via Cracking

  Hole wall roughness is also a major determinant of number of cycles to
failure.  The rougher the hole -- the more stress risers for cracks to start
propagating from.  That's why I seen many holes with thinner copper but
clean drilling outlast thicker copper holes with rougher drilling.

  All in all, it's not so much a question of whether a holewall will crack
after thermal cycling.  It's a question of when it'll crack or how cycles
it'll take to start cracking when thermal cycled (wearout point on the
classic reliability bathtub curve).

  Soon or later we all die and sooner or later hole copper will start
cracking if it sees enough temp cycling.

  Dwight