Possibly I am the Mike Steve is he he-ing at so I better type something out,
[Soon I guess Steve will switch to a more seasonal Ho Ho. ]

In an ideal world you only use manufacturer's fresh paste straight out of
the jar and therefore guaranteed to be in as specified condition. In a
highly mixed line this can be difficult as it can take more paste to load
the squeegee than you are going to use.

The key to controlling solder paste on the shop floor is to control the rate
of issue and to match (if possible) the container size to amount used per
work period. In other words only take out of stores that which you are going
to use in the next shift or half shift and order a container size which will
get used up. That way you won't have any left over.
Easier said than done, but its a start point for thinking. How much you
deviate from this depends on how much you can trust your people to carry out
procedures and how much effort you want to put in to save a few dollars
worth of material against the risk of  using out of spec material. The knack
is to devise a system that is not too discretionary for operators and is
simple to do. I suggest this is related to time not number of times used or
usage.

When thinking what you are going to do, keep in mind that temperature
cycling  paste in and out of cold store is very like an artificial ageing
regime.

I suggest an ideal system would therefore have these elements.

Set up a system of bulk storage in main stores, a weekly store on shop floor
and a day store on /near machine. Impress this is one way only.
At the beginning of the week move from bulk (very cold if required) to shop
floor storage. (simple refrigerator if required)
Each day (or night before if refrigerated) the amount for next day.

Put a colour blob on each container corresponding to the day of the week.
(Monday blue, Tuesday green and so on)
IF you have really light usage write on the day date of first use.
Now you  [without overt supervision] - and operators - can see what jars are
in use and if they are out of time.
And make simple rules to change jars. Backwards moving jars are easily
spotted by the blobs etc.
Clear out the machine/local store periodically.
Now you can feel a little more comfortable about saying things like load
squeegee with today's paste and replenish with paste no more than one day
old etc. Never use more than one third old paste with new.
Your actual supplier can give you some ideas/ratios, experience will tell
you the rest.

Hope this helps
Regards

Mike Fenner